Monday, March 30, 2015

Mike Patey Update

Hey Guys,

I recieved the update below from Mike Patey over the weekend.  Mike won the "Experimenter of the year" trophy last year and is working hard to bring a new airplane to the event in 2015.  Turbulence is project, a PT6 powered Lancair Legacy.

Check it out,


Hey Elliot

Well it's been a crazy and successful week. This pic is the last of 9 locations i was able to add fuel to turbulence. This was the last tank before I closed it up last night.  My new fuel system has no fuel selectors and I eliminated over twenty feet of lines and 30 fittings in the fuel system. Even though I added 9 fuel locations I was able to make them flow together bay to bay as single complete tanks without connecting lines. This was possible with my new strengthened one piece wing design. There is three tanks, right, left wing and 1 aux tank.  I just finished testing the last tanks and did a total fuel capacity check. I was very happy to see my modifications to trapped fuel areas resulted in less then 3 gallons total unusable fuel between all 3 tanks combined in level flight and  in a 3 degree decent profile when inbound to land it drops to 1.5 gallons unusable between all tanks combined. That's much less then original tanks while increasing fuel from 60 gallons usable to 160 gallons while keeping within CG limits.

     My fuel selectors I eliminated while still maintaining  three separate tanks. The engine draws evenly from both wings and auto fills and auto balances from the aux tank or wing to wing electronically. It is a fully redundant pump system upgraded from designs I like and modified from large jets and single engine turboprops like the pillatus PC12. I also tested my no fuel spill venting design. Working perfect. Many planes, including the legacy,  vents fuel overboard during steep climbs, uncoordinated turns, or hot day fuel expansion spills while parked on the ramp.  This now vents to an expansion area tank that returns all fuel directly into the system.

     This week We also cut out all interior frames, arm rests, side panels, center section, throttle quadrant and traditional avionics panel frame. We then installed, and now almost complete with a modified star flight design. We are almost finished making new molds and adjustment for the larger turboprop throttle quadrant and now ready to install. 

     The biggest job this week that kept the all night oil burning was the upper and lower cowling molds. It was a continuous non stop job that was only left alone for other projects while waiting for layers and bonding to dry for next layer. Very very close to being done now. I'll send pics of the new cowlings when complete. I have made up one of my two days behind my calendar goals so it's looking like there still holds a small chance I will make it. Wish me luck as we look forward, skipping nothing, taking no shortcuts,  focused and charging on.

Mike Patey

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great job maybe you could start teaching others how to build for success😊 I always lol forward to seeing what you have in store for us next! with your engineering skills and all your hard work I always look forward to seeing what you have planned out every year and hope I will be a part of it for years to come! Even if you haven't been in touch with what I know you love very much,she still is part of your heart and will be there will you find your back. I realize it can't always be something you do everyday, cause its not what pays the bills and takes care of the family, so for now its just a hobby but maybe someday the kids are all grown up and out of the house you can step back and make your passion that you have for building these planes and bless us with some more of your wisdom on these amazing machines, When you love something this much you would have to be a fool not to be involved with it whenever you feel your ready to do something you love and build us some more of those treasures you created so well, until next time ill been waiting til you surface again. Your biggest fan.